New Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association issues warning to pet owners

CaseyNEWS RELEASE

August 22, 2011
For immediate release

New Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association issues warning to pet owners

FREDERICTON, N.B. — Permethrin is a common insecticide found in many over-the-counter flea and tick “spot on” products. While dogs generally tolerate it, it is poisonous to cats.

Signs of permethrin intoxication include excessive drooling, weakness, staggering, convulsions and, possibly, death. It is very important to pay attention to warnings on the product labels and packaging. If you accidentally put permethrin on a cat, wash the animal immediately and thoroughly with a mild, non-insecticidal shampoo and contact your veterinarian.

Cats can be accidentally poisoned if they groom a dog on which permethrin has been freshly applied. It is therefore important to separate cats from permethrin-treated dogs in the household.

-30-

Media contacts:

Dr. Mary-Ellen Themens
506-684-4994, 506-684-0723

Dr. Ali Crandlemire
506-261-1475

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.